PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No more ACs, LACs, and SACs....
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2022, 16:23
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by The Oberon
Drifting but I am confused about what has happened to NCO ranks over the past years.
I should say that I in no way want to denigrate those currently serving or the ranks they hold but I would appreciate an explanation from someone still serving.
I left having completed 22 in 1986. In the aircraft trades it was the norm for someone, providing he had the right numbers and had passed the promotion exams, to reach Chf/Tech at around about 30 - 32 years old. This was based on time promotion which stopped about 2 years before I was due my Chief. As a result I was 2 years late in getting promoted, 34. The idea of a Tech.Cpl in his early to mid 30s. was practically unheard of. He would probably have gone at the 12 year point with no opportunity to sign on beyond that. What has changed?
Your confusion is understandable.

I'm not serving, but, I can comment accordingly from recent direct exposure to those who are. .

The "numbers game " as you accurately define it began, as I'm sure you are aware in the late 70's , and thereafter gathered momentum to the extent people were getting "Spec Reps " and high scores almost as a matter of course, just to stay in the promotion bracket.

For new arrivals, the first bit is straightforward... AMM > first short tour as S.A.C, back for Techs course, then S.A.C Tech. Thereafter comes the problems.

Today, technical ability is but one element. To progress to Cpl requires a leadership course, same for Sgt. However, also factored in are the secondary duties, even tertiary at times, the range of which can be extensive and not simply directly related to work. Social / leisure pursuits also have a distinct bearing along with fitness levels.

The rank of Cpl was being promoted even when I was in as the aspirational rank and no further for many to achieve

.Never forgotten the Flt.Lt from Innsworth at the time who came to Bruggen to give us an "inspirational talk " on this...the front rows were occupied by the non tech trades...much in favour. The rear by engineers. I don't think he'd ever encountered engineers before.... giving vent to their feelings and sentiments.

One of the reasons many of us left, was, this wasn't part of the T's and C's when we joined. There's also the fact, as you know, and has often been commented on, that, overall the R.A.F have quietly reduced the levels of benefits over time. That, and there is no longer an expectation for people to serve any more than 12 years, some leave before, given few see it as lifetime career, unlike the past, and more an entry on the CV to enable them to continue a career elsewhere to gain a broader spectrum of experience and often in different sectors to aviation.

Those who remain and who have engaged for 22 yrs become "trapped " in one sense because the next step from Cpl to Sgt can prove very difficult, unless, as I say, they demonstrate not only the technical ability, but also the commitment to the other aspects I've mentioned.