PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A pair of Spitfires
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2022, 06:54
treadigraph
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 300 Likes on 168 Posts
Not impossible Lantern - pretty sure the Pink Floyd pair would have been Pat Lindsay's MkV AR213 and Adrian Swire's MkIX MH434, both of which were based at Booker at the time (Neil Williams and Pete Thorne both flew them regularly and I think the late PPRuNe Pop told me he was given the opportunity to fly AR213 when he was part of the Leisure Sport team) and as far as I know both now live at Duxford. But the ones FUMR saw are likely to have been drawn from the various Kent-based aircraft which are very active most days.

Just trying to remember, other airworthy Spits in 1975; apart from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's four aircraft, there was the Rolls Royce MkXIV, Shuttleworth's MkV which was flying by then, John Fairey's two-seater and Doug Arnold had a MkXVI. Can't think of any others... How many in the UK now, 40 perhaps...?

Edit: John Terrell's list on Warbird Information Exchange has it at 41 in the UK out of 71 airworthy worldwide - plus another six which haven't flown for some time.

Last edited by treadigraph; 12th Jun 2022 at 08:37.