PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - East Midlands-7
Thread: East Midlands-7
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2022, 15:22
ATNotts

Received 298 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt995
drone activity I believe close to the airfield, maybe in connection with the Download Festival at Donnington Park? Airfield now re-open, diversions also went to Birmingham and Leeds/Bradford
The drone situation has hit the BBC News website UK front page. I would imagine that these incidents, and there was one the previous day as well, will probably ensure that the Download Festival will not be returning to EMA next year as the airport and the CAA are surely likely to object to it doing so not only on commercial grounds, but more so because being so close to the airport and threshold of RW09 there is clearly a danger to aviation. That would of course be extremely disappointing for festival goers, most of whom aren't quite so stupid, and to Donington Park and local businesses for whom I am sure the revenue is more than welcome.

However Leicestershire Country Council really needs to decide which enterprise, EMA or Donington Park is of most value to the region in terms of economic benefit and employment and ensure that the airport operation, not just from Download but also other racing and other events, is not adversely effected whether from an operation perspective, or from the perspective of customers, whether passengers or freight operators accessing the airport facilities. If they deem Donington Park to be of greater benefit then so be it, but I would doubt that Donington Park sustains even 5% 0f the number of full time jobs that EMA and the surrounding associated businesses do.