PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2022, 09:18
MANFAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Manchester Exile
I can't see T1 closing in the next five years, Ozzy. I reckon at least 7-10 before they shut it down. I understand the next T2 pier won't be completed for another three years, and they'll likely require a 3rd T2 pier to be operational before considering the shutdown of T1.

If I recall correctly, Piers B and C from T1 will remain operational and connected to the new T2, even after the T1 decommissioning. Both of those piers are in dire need of a refresh, particularly pier B which is now 60 years old.
Yes, this is my understanding as well.
Initially there were meant to be 4 piers in total built, pre covid the 4th pier was put on hold indefinitely.
So since then (2018/2019?) the plan was always to build the 3 piers and then close T1. However, we know with covid everything is now delayed.
I believe the 2nd pier will be open by summer 2025 and the 3rd pier by 2027.
At the same time the legacy T2 refurb is due to start later this year and be complete by 2024.

So my estimate would be T1 is going to be operationally until at least 2027. In that time a refurb of Piers B & C is desperately needed! Both the interior and exterior. There has to be funds made available for this, because remember the closure of T1 eventually does not also mean the closure of the T1 Piers...there has to be a justification for this investment given the future timeline of the overall TP.

Other areas of the TP also include the new dual taxiway system between taxiway Alpha and the T2 western apron. I don't know when this is re-starting, but again to reduce bottlenecks within the taxiways systems and therefore preventing long holding of aircraft, this needs to be started again.
I believe the end of Pier C (Gates 29/31/32) would be demolished to make way for part of this new taxiway system.

Last edited by MANFAN; 11th Jun 2022 at 16:22.