PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar/Doha vs Emirates/Dubai (life and work)
Old 10th Jun 2022, 17:47
Spongeboeing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachos
I believe that you haven't tried LH flying with an airline like QR that schedules you like short haul with non EASA ftl. All guys coming from Ryanair say they never been so fatigued in Ryr as in QR.

Never the less most people all know better and still join.

Try to sum up advantages up both here (airline and city)

​​​
Very appreciated. This is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Learned new things about QR and confirmed my perception that I would enjoy life in EK a lot more. By expat life I mean the things you do with other people in your same expat situation. It's completely different to be an expat in a city where most people are expats than to be one in a country where almost nobody else is. I'm still in close contact with the colleagues and friends who stayed in Dubai and I would enjoy going back to the Dubai expat life there. You can call me weird but back when I was there I'd enjoy a day off as much as a day on a nice layover destination with a friendly crew.

Maybe actual fatigue is not an issue here. We have stable 5/4 rosters and every block is only earlies or only lates. Pretty sure you know how it works. The problem are the things surrounding work. For example next month I'm rostered for 2 days at a base that isn't my homebase. No arrangements are made by the company. It's all just a normal roster app icon. I will have to drive 2 hours to this other airport and find and pay for a hotel to spend the night. The out of base allowance will barely cover the cost of the fuel, the parking and the hotel. The day before this I'm rostered to fly at my base, landing pretty late. This means coming back from work I'll have to go bed straight away, wake up, fix a lunchbox and start driving. After 2 hours driving I'll do a short flight. After the flight I'll check in the airport hotel. Next day I've another flight out of base landing well past midnight. After this last double turnaround (4 legs) out of base, I'll drive another 2 hours back home where I need to go to sleep immediately because the next day I have a flight from my home base. Yes it's all legal but I'll be doing all this for about 10h of paid work. This type of roster is common and we call it "summer season". Winter season are those months where we'll fly 30h... on a contract without any basic salary. Airplanes are fuller than ever and bases are understaffed yet we're still on COVID hourly rate. Things would have to be awful over there for one of us to not consider it a huge step up.

Last edited by Spongeboeing; 10th Jun 2022 at 19:33.