PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Jubilee Fly Past
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2022, 19:23
airsound

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Apologies for being late to the party - but I’ve only just caught up with the thread.

I have some experience of commentating at these events, including actually flying over Buck House in the Lancaster and reporting live on Radio 4, as part of the BoB 50th anniversary flypast in 1990.

As far as Huw Edwards’ was concerned, I noted that he fell into exactly the trap that I had tried to warn the MoD Chief Comms Officer (Events) about beforehand. I suggested that when the tv director keeps changing the aircraft in vision, so that they don’t appear in flypast order, the inexpert observer doesn’t know which aircraft it is that they’re looking at!

As it often does, that happened on Thursday, when the director chose to show the three Hercs of Wave 7 before the Phenom and four Texans of Wave 6. But Edwards lost the plot, despite the fact that we saw Wave 6 a few seconds later. He then misidentified the big transports of Wave 8 for the surveillance aircraft of Wave 9. Those were his most serious mistakes, but they could have been prevented, with expert help. And with such help, he might not have made his other errors.

I’ve pointed this out to MoD Events, and also to BBC Events, and suggested they that they could and should do better another time. Indeed, they have done better in the past - with Sophie Raworth on BBC1 in 2018 for the (bigger) RAF 100 flypast, when she was ably assisted by OC Coningsby, Air Cdre Mark Chappell.

Whether they (Beeb or MoD) will pay the slightest attention, who knows?…..

Btw, I thought the flypast itself was brilliant. And how excellent that they chose to do the ’70’ with front line fighters….

airsound