PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2022, 04:13
tdracer

Received 211 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Usertim
Translation of manuals aside I find it difficult to believe that M777 ( as cited in the article) is using imperial nuts and bolts, especially as it is BAE design. I thought that NATO had a metric policy going back almost to the start. I cannot believe these recent 6.1 inch guns (!) are an exception ,

So therefore that whole article sounds hooky , some american reporters idea of what might be an issue rather than real life.

On the other hand it is gratifying to see the recent russian air force propaganda pics of 'crowd sourced equipment' proudly displayed in front of some jets.
We can ask why the russian airforce needs socket sets, and electric drivers , and most especially the grass strimmers.
Perhaps it is a universal problem.
Agreed - 40 years ago most American manufacturing was transitioning to metric (admittedly gradual - I had a 1978 Buick, to replace one part there were 10 bolts that held it in place, 7 metric (8mm) and 3 English (1/4") - which look almost the same but aren't .
I've had duplicate tool sets - English and Metric wrenches, sockets, etc.- for 45 years because I needed both. Is that uncommon on the other side of the pond?