PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF announces Puma Replacement plan
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2022, 12:11
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ericferret
"Speaking at the DSEI show in October last year, Whitney acknowledged that a failure to secure work through NMH could make the wider Leonardo group reconsider its investment in the UK.

“My concern would be if our own MoD doesn’t show confidence in the rotary-wing provider which is already established in the UK that does lead to questions,” he said."

Firstly a veiled threat to U.K jobs if Leonardo don't get the contract
Secondly confidence in the product is more important than confidence in the company.

The U.K military has had to deal with sub standard equipment on more than one occasion of U.K manufacture.

Part of the reason might be this will be a long haul, and as he's nearing retirement it might be best if fresh legs are there at the beginning.

That the military has had to do with sub-standard kit is true, but irrelevant when discussing Westland; and mostly irrelevant when discussing industry in general, for the simple reason MoD signs to say it is content with the design, development and production, at every stage of the process. Very few companies will risk their own money to deliver what the MoD needs, rather than what it asked for. Westland (as was), in my experience, happened to be one of them. But these days there may be too much influence from abroad. I feel the company has lost its identity, as did (e.g.) Ferranti.