PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA attacks colour vision defective pilots again.
Old 7th Jun 2022, 22:42
vee1-rotate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TristanCty
Hey guys,

I just thought I’d chime in here and explain my situation and how devastating this current development has been for me. I’m currently 30yrs old, and being a CVD person who’s wanted to be a career pilot since I was a kid, I’ve been closely following this whole CVD saga for over 10 years now. After having done every colour test under the sun many years go, I ended up giving up on the idea of ever following my dreams of being a career pilot. That was until years of hard work were put in by Dr Arthur Pape, John O’Brien and others, concluding in CASA finally implementing the Operational Colour Vision Assessment. After a year or so of fighting within myself over whether I was too old or not to chase my dream, I decided to take the leap and just go for it. Completely over the moon in my decision, I approached my local flying school and started lessons. I now have almost 20hrs (dual), and only just last weekend did my first solo flight. Now…I’ve just found out about CASA’s absolutely insane decision to revert back to their old ways throwing out decades of hard work by the men listed above.

I’ve spent thousands on my flying so far, and it seems like all of that has been a total waste of time and energy. How can CASA do such a thing? How can years of court cases and senate hearings go on, have a ground breaking decision be made, only for it all to be thrown away??

I’m utterly devastated, and I’m now back at a loss of what to do with my life. This is just wrong. I wish I could sue CASA for the years of mental torment they’ve caused me from banning me from doing the only thing I’ve ever wanted to do, but as someone has mentioned above, CASA have unlimited money to fight their case, so there’s no point.

Does anyone know why CASA have done such a thing?
I know it's not the simplest solution, but in your spare time I would look at ways to get over to the US. I've been here on 8 years now working in aviation (non-flying) and am hopefully about to restart my interrupted flying career by undertaking the FAA's OCVT and MFT test. They are multi-part tests but on completion, you are granted a full medical with no restrictions for life (in regards to colour vision).

I sidelined a professional flying career quite a few years ago, with my fears being this exact situation ... spending money, starting a career and having it all turn to dust when CASA changes their mind. I'm not sure exactly how you could do it, but there are a few different visas' available to move to the US. You could then pursue a career here if you are able to pass the tests. As I said, not an easy solution, but a possible solution nonetheless.