PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2022, 20:35
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Icarus2001
Two words ENTRY BARRIER

You are a barrel of laughs. NOTHING is a given, only death and taxes. I may not wake up tomorrow, or an asteroid could destroy the earth but on the balance of probabilities you would have a reasonable chance of a thirty year career, starting at 25, moving companies or countries, for an investment of $130k
No need to get agitated or abusive with folks contributing to the discussion. I’d suggest your clear inference was an investment that secures a future as a cadet pilot at QF. So my points valid. QF has been blessed by favoured sentiment and circumstances which are no given in the future. Gloomy? Yes. But when I started out my applications included TAA, Ansett, QF and Cathay. This before a pilots dispute and by the time I left Australia pilots were paying for endorsements and wages had deteriorated significantly from the original incumbents.

Cadet pilots I flew with abroad, lost their livelihoods and were professionally vulnerable. However, many were also highly educated outside of aviation and have moved on having seen their pay halved. Perhaps they live for the Great White Hope, a pilot shortage, yet they know from experiences from their own sausage factory license production and dumbing down of the job, supply and demand is rarely a favourable equation.

I’d suggest you are a mug to go into this game one dimensionally ( as a cadet ) thinking of 25 years plus of “reasonable” wages. My first wage as an airline co-pilot adjusted to inflation is today a command wage in an LCC. The industrial landscape here seems grim.

Starting out now as a cadet pilot? Develop your professional mobility as early as you can is my advice.