PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ireland Considers Purchase of AD Fighters
Old 7th Jun 2022, 13:08
Lonewolf_50

Received 412 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Just a spotter
And for now a moot argument, there's plenty of steps for the Defence Forces to go though before jets arrive ... if they do.
JAS
As an interested observer with no skin in the game: as I read through the comments under the linked article, and with a modest understanding of area Air Defense, I think that getting the fighters before setting up the radar capability would be putting the cart before the horse. (yes, those two programs could certainly be taken on in parallel). This post assumes that GCI would be the modus operandi.

A
s the comments stream under that link point out, getting the money approved and the requirement well documented and agreed would be the first step.

JAS, I grinned at your point on the T-50. Of course L-M would recommend that!

When it comes down to a selection, if the funds are approved and agreed, how does one conduct a fly off / op eval if one has no Fast Jet pilot base to draw upon?
Lastly: the training infrastructure is another expense (for both the maintenance and flying bits) but I expect that 'train overseas once selection is made' is the less expensive path forward in the near term.
It is interesting to see that a ten year time horizon is being discussed: good piece of expectations management, that.