PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA attacks colour vision defective pilots again.
Old 7th Jun 2022, 02:02
Clinton McKenzie

Received 255 Likes on 125 Posts
It's just a small number of zealots who have again prevailed - hopefully temporarily - over those who are capable of objectively assessing all of the objective evidence. Zealots on a crusade are not troubled by mere bagatelles like all of the objective evidence. They know they are right, and search only for evidence that supports their prejudices. Your career and your money and your stress levels are just sacrifices to the altar of their religion.

Unfortunately, CVD is very easy to detect and the zealots have very powerful emotions on their side. The intuitive response of the uninformed public is that any vision 'deficiency' must render a pilot 'unsafe'. Add cognitive bias when contemplating aviation disasters and in the public's mind you're the equivalent of a great white shark in the water off a popular beach. You want to take them on? Buckle up for a long, expensive and stressful fight during which your 'deficiency' will be portrayed as a potential cause of an aviation disaster.

But I do hope you are a member of the CVDPA, because the more members and funds it has the faster these zealots will be brought back under control.

The good news is that all of the objective evidence shows that pilots with CVD are no less competent than non-CVD pilots in performing tasks in modern civil aircraft cockpits, including tasks which require the identification of the meaning of lights/annunciators that happen to be coloured. (The zealots don't like that, and claim it's a consequence of practise which, ironically, is precisely how everyone becomes and remains competent at tasks...) There are good people in CASA who know this, but have been 'sidelined' - again - hopefully only temporarily. I'd suggest you also make inquiries about what's happening in NZ. So far as I am aware, NZ has continued to be able to keep its CVD zealots under control.