PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The F-35 thread, Mk II
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2022, 22:25
Lonewolf_50

Received 416 Likes on 259 Posts
I am going to speak generally based on my limited experience in the 21st century.
CAS (as it has ever been) is very closely coordinated with the ground units - some of whom can lase the target.
Or the other aircraft in a two ship can lase once the target is identified.
Or you can get a grid coordinate from the ground unit and enter it in, and then let loose with one of the smaller GBU's (they were fielding a 250 lb guided one before I left).
The venerable 2.75" rocket now has a guidance package (IR) as of about 2012; if they do, then maybe the Zuni rockets with a smart head are an option. I'd need to do some research as I have lost touch with the latest as regards what ordnance is still available.
I'll offer a thought for the year 2022: the "close" in close air support means "close to own troops" (near to the FEBA/FLOT) more so than it means "close to the ground" - which is where the attack helicopters are with their killing equipment.

Not to mentioned the increased use of armed drones/UAVs.

For gums:
Bones in the Stan. One of the more interesting missions I recall involved about a dozen JDAMs (2000 pounders!) supporting the French or Kiwi Spec Ops folks working with some local friendlies. The Bones were not down in the weeds.

I have full confidence that the F-35 operators will figure out a 'best fit' for their TTPs for when they need to support troops with missions close to the FLOT/FEBA.

And yes, the FLOT/FEBA may be bad terminology, given how dispersed the modern battlefield is.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 5th Jun 2022 at 22:46.