PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2022, 10:57
Lude-og

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Bizarre to focus on the dispatch of the rescue helicopter rather than the cause of the crash to the top cover one.....I know the launch of one precipitated the launch of the other but in the big scheme of things is very low down on the contributory factors.

I suppose accidental death keeps all parties happy - no blame attached and 'just one of those things'.
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e.../inquests.html

Just an FYI about the purpose of a coroner's court (in Ireland, at least) and what they are empowered to determine, from the above link:

"Nobody is found guilty or innocent at an inquest, and no criminal or civil liability is determined. All depositions, post-mortem reports and verdict records are preserved by the Coroner and made available to the public.When the proceedings have been completed, a verdict is provided in relation to the identity of the deceased, and how, when and where the death occurred. The range of verdicts that can be declared by the Coroner or jury include:
  • Accidental death
  • Misadventure
  • Suicide
  • Natural causes
  • Unlawful killing
  • Open verdict"
As you mentioned; the launch of one precipitated the launch of the other, but I think the reporting of that portion of the proceedings was a bit more interesting (read: highlighting the possibly questionable decision making process of the dispatcher), as opposed to it being a particular focus of the proceedings.