PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF Asks to Shrink Tanker Fleet.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 14:46
Lonewolf_50

Received 420 Likes on 262 Posts
I may pop a blood vessel here (based on Joint/Combined Ops days where tanking was a crucial truss in the operational bridge) but this (to me) smacks of the same sort of myopic USAF view that results in the never ending assault on the A-10.
Just like the Title X stuff the US Army has to shoulder as a part of its joint service burden, tanking (global capability) is a burden the Air Force must shoulder.
It comes with the badge, Zoomies.
Tanking is a core capability that you'd expect to increase, not decrease, in importance in the next decade or so unless the geopolitical situation changes drastically.
(Looking mid term here). (Yeah, I understand the "it's only a 5% decrease" line ...)
This is just one old fart's opinion: I'd like to see the House Armed Services Committee kick this one back and say "No, you do not get to not do your job."
“Given the threats that we face, the idea that we can do a major war and a major contingency simultaneously is a stretch,” Kendall said.…
Kendall also said the Air Force is growing more concerned that tankers may faced an increased threat of being shot down in combat.
Right, General, then you need to make more of them, as you'll expect to lose more.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 2nd Jun 2022 at 15:08.