PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 14:07
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeSnow
There's plenty of crying in Ukraine.
Missed my point and the issue I had with that one Nutty's remark, Mike. Given the tsunami of grief, don't mind despite this low punch.

Russia did not attack UKR bringing mayhem and destruction because some regional leader refused to sanction them, but because they believed it was their right to do so and decide what the other country should be like. Not to their taste in the end, so they went and punished them.

Calling upon some 'super-entity' to punish a country is the same logic we see unfolding. Russia is a self-proclaimed super-entity just as the EU is, now under the stellar leadership of Leyen, Timmermans and Borell et al. (lower ranks nicely decorated from all points of compass: Szajer, Ransdorf)

The Austrian have issues with Czechs, Czech with Polish, Polish with Ukrainian (pre-war), Slovak with Magyar and Magyar with Romanians... or the other way around. Way of life, the proclaimed unity always had and will have cracks.

Even if the joint action of EU gets blocked because of actually observing the rules this time (the Irish referendum, anyone?) all the illustrious leaders are free to launch the embargo from their own countries at will.

Except they did not, and it awfully seems they are playing Orban figure as an excuse why they couldn't. Nope, Germany and Italy cutting themselves from RU supplies would be a hit large enough, no need to wait and single out the family's unwanted bastard for not proceeding with the plan.

Rewind a bit and see the SWIFT sanctions and how they started (not).

BTW most EU Countries' leaders are elected with around 35% count. No matter, I am not advocating for Orban or approving of his antics. I am somewhat shocked at the suggestion one country is invited to punish another.

But the EU has bent over backwards to address Orban's concerns and get the latest sanctions package signed. And when finally everyone thought it was a done deal, Orban comes with: "But, but, but, we can't sanction Patriarch Kirill!". This is looking less and less like looking after Hungary's interests,
No objections on this one, whatsoever.