PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TUI airways-2
Thread: TUI airways-2
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2022, 19:37
LBAflyer22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vokes55
It might not seem it on a Skiathos Facebook group, but people like that are generally in the minority. Most will care more about the hotel than which island they go to.

Unfortunately Skiathos was always going to be an obvious contender as it’s a restricted airport and only a small number of captains are qualified to fly there, which reduces flexibility even more and essentially rules out sub-chartering.

Jet2 have performed even worse over the past 2-3 days, especially out of BHX and MAN, so don’t be under any illusion they’re immune from any of this. And BA at LHR are an example that self handling alone doesn’t always solve your problems.
Your correct about Skiathos been an obvious contender. But wouldn't the operator rather keep that going and sub charter off something else such as an easy PMI or TFS or something?

Re: Jet2, whilst the MAN/BHX problems have been bad last few days, I'm yet to see them cancel a flight. They seem to have a lot more flexibility when something does fall over to rescue flights without then carrying delays on and into the programme for days if not weeks on end.

I'm not a TUI basher at all, I want them to succeed and grow. But I think they need a strong change in operational outlook. A fleet order is needed and a different operational outlook also needed. I'm not suggesting they follow Jet2's path and have standby's upon standbys which sometimes it feels like they do have, but at least have 1 in the north and 1 in the south to cover the operational requirement. Heck didn't easyJet begin looking if not confirm they were due to do that for S20. Have not a standby but operational spare aircraft to put flights onto/set something up to position/recuse flights if it was to fall over?