PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recommend an aircraft for me.
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2022, 22:48
Aussie Bob

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Wait 5 years and when there is no more avgas and mogas is 5 bucks a litre, owners of piston aircraft will beg you to fly them away from where they are racking up standing costs. Meantime expect airport costs to increase, as supply reduces with flat land ripe for other development. As the fleet ages, accident rate is likely to increase, because cheap aircraft often attract inexperienced owners who can’t afford maintenance, so up go insurance premiums. Insurers may impose requirements which are costly or even impossible to comply with.
Used piston aircraft will soon be scrap value, so about the worst investment one could make, with big power boats a close second.
Ahhhh ... Mach, so depressing but I fear, rather prophetic. I am of the dilemma: do I sell my lightie now and make a small profit or do I just let it depreciate to sweet FA and fly it while I still can. Perhaps I sell it now then buy it back at a bargain basement price in the future? I don't know so I guess I will just keep flying it. The thought not not owning it is rather depressing after all.