PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recommend an aircraft for me.
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2022, 11:50
43Inches

Received 416 Likes on 230 Posts
It's American, where LAME's call themselves mechanics because, well, they're mechanics. Not mechanics calling themselves engineers when they are clearly NOT engineers. So the corresponding cost of maintenance will be lower.
Why would you call yourself an engineer, that's a train driver ain't it.

Note that the video includes $3000 for annual in the 'fixed cost' column, so for a 100-hour year, you might call it 3000/100 + $12 + $42/hr for maintenance. The numbers presented seem pretty realistic to me (for the USA), except for fuel cost, which is probably higher with present costs.
I know its a private ownership machine they are talking about, but you would have to have a very clean and good bones machine to get away with those numbers for consecutive 100 hourlys. I assume there is nothing in that for replacement of gear at TBO. Like I said one tyre will cost around $200 USD. So depending on how much wear you get, could be $600 a year just in rubber. Then there's the fault with the IO-360 Arrows leaking oil from the governor straight into the alternator, so expect no more than 400 hours out of that. There's not much you can do about it as its a weak point in the design of the thing, you can either repair alternators or chase oil weeps as they appear, both are costly. I could add a few more electrical and airframe things that need to be shored up every 100 hourly to keep them from ageing too fast, but you get the picture, $12 an hour just wont cut it in the long run. By the way, he says a 152 only needs $10 per hour for maintenance, so you reckon $2 an hour difference between the two types?