PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEA Airtours from Gatwick, 1971
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2022, 06:51
Jonnie Chan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEA Airtours from Gatwick, 1971

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Thanks for the information. I did go to the Crawley fair, 6 year old in tow (he came home with a mass of free stuff stallholders felt he deserved to have), but didn't find any BEA Airtours material. I did buy the 1970/1 BEA Annual report and accounts on Ebay though and there are a couple of nice photos of a Comet and of the interior with a meal service I think to the front two seats as they're facing rearwards. And someone seems to be seated in the aisle for the purposes of the photograph at least.

But generally the airline does seem to be quite poorly served for memorabilia and ephemera, which of course makes it all the more interesting. There must have been an in-flight magazine; these do tend to get borrowed and so survive, but I've not seen anything at all of this sort (unless the BEA magazine was used). In retrospect I was extremely lucky to find the jigsaw I bought.

Thanks for the information on Enterprise WHBM - the name is familiar in retrospect. We would have holiday brochures in the house from Christmas onwards, all sorts of companies. They are really hard to find now, but when you do they are fascinating slices of social history. You can reconstruct a lot of memories from little bits and pieces like this, it's a very interesting process. Something will turn up and trigger a recollection, which will connect to (say) a holiday photo, and eventually a picture comes back into focus. I don't suppose I'll ever know the tail number of my first flight, but at least I have it down to 9 possibilities now.

I was wondering what happens to flight crew logs for civil aviation. These flights are sadly now past the horizon where crew could be expected to be still with us, but I suppose their logs are heirlooms, or sold or collected, and will contain an amazing amount of detail.

Hi Bisonrav,
I am pleased to say we are not all dead yet! Praise the Lord. I joined BEA Airtours on Comet IVBs as an FO in April 70 and was flying on the line by 23 June 1970. Base training at Prestwick involved right hand seat and panel operation. I was ex Vanguards. BEA Airtours operated a three pilot crew with the two copilots changing seats sector by sector. A lot of fun to be had operating a pukka engineer's panel which was to serve us in good stead for the B707 later. Checking my logbook, I see my first flight was to Split (Yugoslavia, then) as P3 U/T. P3 training and consolidation lasted until 23 July when I then did RHS clearance before joining the regular operation. I was just 23! I had joined BEA from Hamble in Dec 1967. I too have a copy of the jigsaw! BEA, later British Airtours lasted until March 31st 1988 before becoming the new Caledonian Airways. I enjoyed every minute of it and flew B707s and L1011s as a copilot before my command on B737s and then back to L1011s as Captain, subsequently as Training Captin before Airtours demise. Happy days.