PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands 40
Thread: Falklands 40
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2022, 20:52
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
From Julian Thompson at an RAF Historical Society some years ago, following a presentation by Sir Peter Squire on 1(F)'s work at Goose Green:

In his presentation, [Sir Peter] said that his squadron helped to turn the tide at Goose Green. I can tell him that it did turn the tide. 2PARA were stuck on a forward slope, in daylight, being engaged by 35mm AAA [Anti-Aircraft Artilllery] at 2,000 metres range, something to which they had absolutely no answer. Suddenly, like cavalry to the rescue out of the sky, came three Harriers which promptly took out those guns and turned the tide of the battle. There is a tale behind that too. We had previously been supported by CAS’s squadron on exercise in Norway and we had a very high opinion of what they could do. While we were on our way south, I turned to my primary FAC, who was an RAF Phantom back-seater on a ground tour, and told him that I needed No 1 Sqn. He said that I would never get them. I asked why and he replied that they simply couldn’t get there. Thank God you did Peter, because you really did pull the fat out of the fire for us…

And Chris Keeble:

The devastating violence created by the Harriers who attacked the outskirts of the settlement at last light clinched it. It was at that moment it seemed to me that the will of the defence began to break.