PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Change of use from agricultural to *personal* airstrip
Old 27th May 2022, 08:20
sportflying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change of use from agricultural to *personal* airstrip

If you have experience in UK planning and the creation of a new grass airstrip, could I ask for your knowledge, please? I'm not interested in opinion, instead I am looking for case studies.

I'm considering buying a field (in the UK) to use as my own private airstrip. It's currently just a field and is for sale with a particularly severe 50% for 50yr overage clause. I am aware of 28 day, temporary buildings etc, no need to go there. I would want to put up a steel building and, again, I'm not asking for advice on that, the land meets certain conditions that permits the erection of an agricultural building.

My plan is: I put up this agricultural building which will house my tractor etc. and I apply for planning permission - personal to me - to put my plane in that building. I also roll and mow a nice strip of grass on about 35% of the land. Tidy.

My questions: does that constitute development, does it increase the value of the land and therefore would it trigger the overage clause? My argument would be that, if I sold the land, there would be an agricultural building and some grass with no agreement for anyone else to use it as an airstrip so it has not been developed. That said, after 10yrs, I could possibly apply for a CLEUD and then I would have to deal with the overage and any perceived increase in value. Again, what would the increase in value be?

If you know of a similar situation, please be so kind as to point me to it. Thank you. I am also talking to the local planning office but they have no experience of this so have asked me to research!