PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2022, 21:52
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
What scares me is that Putin could be getting to the point that he doesn't care about retaliation. Hitler like, if he thinks he's going down, taking the rest of the world with him may actually be appealing.
if it will help you sleep at night, some one is reporting that they are loading cruise missiles onto the Kilo class submarines that are based in the Black Sea.
While I hope that those have conventional tips, I think that those missiles are roughly the same class of cruise missile as Tomahawk (USN and RN).
If they have a special tip then you can have more sleepless nights.
I'll see what open sources have on that.
FWIW, the wiki entry indicates that some can have a special warhead
The 3M-54 Kalibr, (Калибр, caliber), also referred to it as 3M54-1 Kalibr, 3M14 Biryuza (Бирюза, turquoise), (NATO reporting nameSS-N-27 Sizzler and SS-N-30A), 91R1, and 91RT2, is a family of Russian cruise missiles developed by the Novator Design Bureau (OKB-8). There are ship-launched, submarine-launched and air-launched versions of the missile, and variants for anti-ship, anti-submarine and land attack use. Some versions have a second propulsion stage that initiates a supersonic sprint in the terminal approach to the target, reducing the time that target's defense systems have to react, while subsonic versions have greater range than the supersonic variants. The missile can carry a warhead weighing up to 500 kg of explosive or a thermonuclear warhead.
As I don't have a Jane's subscription, I may have to be satisfied with that.