PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft in (British) museums
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2004, 00:51
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mouldering away....

Hear hear Aerohack!

I have written letters in the past in the vain hope of acquiring the M18 and the Hawk - both restorable, albeit at cost way beyond their market value, and should be in the air.

In the case of the Hawk (quick drool removal from chin) - it could be flying at Old Warden within 2 years (?) alongside my Maggie and Falcon, enjoyed by many. Eager craftsmen would benefit from probably £200k-worth of work.

Instead, it sits on flat tyres covered in dust and the fabric/ ply skin hanging off it.

When I last looked at it and remarked at the damage to the airframe my guide admitted that 'some ATC Cadets had been climbing over it'.

Why oh why do they feel he need to hang on to it? What is the connection? Why dont they sell it to me and put the money towards the restoration of something more likely to pull the punters in?

I will pay good money for it - lots more than its true value. To most it is a pile of rotting plywood. To me, it is a realisable dream.

Dream on HP.. It ain't gonna happen.

For some reason, it has been elevated to 'special preservation' status and therefore cannot be sold.

Anybody out there know any more than I?

Do you think that they might swap it for my Magister? Whilst I can't imagine my perfectly airworthy Maggie in a museum I would rather that than the Hawk sit in some dusty old store. At least there are another 2 Maggies flying in the UK.

Food for thought (and much better than Turkey.......!)

A Happy New Year to all Historic buffs.

HP