PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our son wants to be an airline pilot... I have some questions :)
Old 26th May 2022, 08:51
Uplinker

Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts
You will call me cynical, but unfortunately pilots and their union(s) do not stand up for themselves.

Longer EASA duty times were allowed in with barely a murmur. UK allowing EASA licensed pilots but not the other way round. Pay and conditions are dropping.
I even had incredulous looks years ago from my own colleagues when I suggested that we lobbied to stop flying on Christmas Day. (Yes, I know it is lucrative for the airline, but we crews got no bonus for it - most other trades would get double or triple pay - and if the flights did not exist, passengers would simply fly before or after Christmas.)

So we see pilots now paying frankly obscene amounts to get themselves trained and type-rated, and then have to jump through numerous hoops and then possibly even have to pay to be employed, then have long duty days, but it's OK because there is a fatigue reporting system

PS, I started flying aged around 35, starting with night mail runs on very old, basic turbo-props, but ending up on the A330 before Covid struck. However, that was years ago, I don't know if it would be possible today.