PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Bases Name Changes: Ft Rucker rename Fort Novosel after CWO4 Michael J. Novosel
Old 26th May 2022, 06:08
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by gums
Salute!

... The Novosels were quite a pair. Somewhere, maybe in Senior's book is the story about the father-son rescue mission(s).

What I found most interesting was sitting there for two hours with this guy who had flown B-29's over Japan when I was still in diapers!!!

Jr opened the bar and grill called the Flightline, and the outside was painted in aviation art. When he went west the new operators closed it after a brief time. The interior was filled with many picures of aviators and planes, plus Sr's MoH citation and a replica of his real medal.

Due to my timing, I met and flew with and taught many that became well-known and decorated. A few callsigns had instant recognition when things went south. None of us can forget Dustoff, Jolly, Sandy, Disco, Red Crown, just to name a few.

Gums sends....

P.S. My callsign back then was given by my flight commander and I was youngest nugget in the squadron - 'Boy Wonder".
I can see the attraction of Ft Walton Beach, in fact the whole emerald coast, it has its attractions... spring break notwithstanding. It is some of the best airspaces on the rock, Tyndall ATC particularly. One of the world's great beaches from Foley to St Joes. Hanging up your spurs can happen in worse places.

I think Jr's place has recently closed, which is a loss.

Changing the names does not have to be considered to be "WOKE" whatever that may denote, We stopped feeding Christians to the lions some time ago, and there wasn't much pushback on that, having an inclusive society, particularly when there is easy access to firearms would seem to be reasonable. Back in the day, I met some Tuskegee airmen, and they were regular guys, as are my friend's ex VNAF etc... names shouldn't define people, their actions and what they hold in their heart seems to be more relevant for giving the time of day to.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The beach 3.pdf (350.0 KB, 6 views)