PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway change, a question of rules or etiquette?
Old 26th May 2022, 01:50
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Slope can be more important than wind direction in deciding best landing direction.
Very true! My home runway is 25 feet higher at the east end (2100 feet long), so I do accept a tailwind in some cases, to make the benefit of that slope. A review of the airplane's performance information, which may include runway slope as a performance factor is always a good idea. The steepest sloped runway I have regularly used was 54 feet difference over its 1550 foot length, with the low end at the water, so that was always operation to suit the slope rather than the wind, or don't operate!

That said, in the context of the OP's question, my experience has most commonly been that airports with "traffic" such that consideration need be given to conforming with the established circuit traffic do not usually have runways with so much slope that that becomes a factor in runway choice for GA types.

single runway is simultaneously active in both directions
I noticed this type of operation in Meigs Field in Chicago when I used to fly there, I never understood it. But it was tower controlled, so I guess they had a plan!