PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Volunteer Gliding School Futures
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2004, 00:25
SirToppamHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
643 VGS

643 VGS was flying Vikings out of Scampton in 1989, and I don't know when/why they moved (I'd already joined the mob by then).

My last flight was about 100 mins long as I caught a thermal with a 'first flight' cadet in the back who could only just see over the side. Eventually, I got to about 5000ft over Lincoln, and contacted Waddington for a FIS, and got information on the Reds coming home. They went underneath us (they were visual) and we landed about 20 mins after them. Of course, I'd broken the rules, and was grounded for 2 wks as a punishment, I do not regret the decision one bit, and started Cranwell a couple of wks later ... I wouldn't be surprised if the cadet remembers the experience quite well too, the grin on his face made all the efforts worthwhile, and my guess is that, despite some comments previous to this, most VR(T) guys are in it for the same thing!!
I hear people at work talk about the ATC as a drain on resources, how can we justify them etc etc, but my guess is that in financial terms they cost a pittance to run when compared with the money wasted by DPA.

Back to the thread ... why are the regulars (RAFGSA) being kicked out of Syerston ? Completely different philosophies and aims must make it hard to co-exist safely, but I would guess Scampton would be an option, especially if it is being rejuvenated for the 'deployable' units!

You're all really useful engines!