PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands 40
Thread: Falklands 40
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2022, 18:06
ex-fast-jets

Received 84 Likes on 22 Posts
Gosh........!!

Is it the 25th already.....??

We had done a few things with our 6 GR3's following the 21st landings - and we had already lost one to a missile attack on Day 1, rather than flying accidents/incidents which seemed to be causing problems for the SHARS.

Most of our airframes by then also had holes in them from small arms fire or shrapnel.

On the 25th, I flew 3 sorties, each throwing 3x1000lb bombs onto the airfield. I know of at least another 6x1000lb bombs that went there on my three sorties - possibly others - so at least 15x1000lb bombs that I know of that day.

No holes in the runway - but probably made life a little uncomfortable for the intruding temporary residents in the area. Might even have convinced the Argentinians not to place any valuable assets there.

Returned to HMS HERMES, also known as the RIRB, after Sortie 3 just after ATLANTIC CONVEYOR had been hit by one or two Exocets, and was on fire. Very bad loss for a number of reasons, but probably took the Exocets aimed at and intended for HERMES because ATLCON was nearby without any close in defence support.

Found the HERMES deck "cluttered' (RN description, not ours) with the presence of Chinook BN which had been airborne when ATLANTIC CONVEYOR was hit, and HERMES was the only deck which could take it. The crew were a little disheartened, because they were told that if it was not off the deck in the morning, it would be thrown overboard. We all had no doubt that the threat would be fulfilled, so we offered our ideas to the crew how to get into San Carlos without being shot down. They left in the morning, and managed to get there safely, and if there is one military capability which managed to achieve a significant effect on the outcome of the conflict, then BN and its crews - aircrew and ground crew - is certainly worthy of mention.

Other than that , the 25th was just another day.