PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2003, 23:59
Beeayeate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with BEags on this issue. It's not just the nuke affairs either it's the principle of the thing I guess. I was with the Canberra B(I)8s in Germany in the 60s where we stood our share of nuked-loaded QRAs TACEVALS and "scary" moments. Generally have no problem telling "war-stories" over a pint or two about those times (when I can remember them! ). I came back to 51 Sqn from Germany though and I still, (nearly 30 years later) feel uncomfortable saying anything about those particular times. Even though I realise a lot of the actions/events are now public domain. I have read stuff about Canberras from a couple of "researchers", but it somehow still just doesn't feel "right" to be discussing it in open forum. Maybe some of us took to the security "brainwashing" too well!

I can assure you that the weekly security briefings, even for ground crew, were taken very seriously - particular car registrations, certain movements, people to watch for etc, and I guess the ethos of that time and place has just stuck in my mind. It was even more serious for the aircrews and their families. And there is the 70 year rule!

So, I would respect BEags unwillingness to get involved in detail that's any deeper than "I remember when. . . " type hangar tales. More of these tales will give a personal flavour to this potted history thread. In this I agree with John F, because all those memories are not being written down, or "collected" and, due to the current PC climate, may never be in any official sense.

Just think, maybe, in 30 or 40 years time, this thread will provide a goldmine of insight and detail for some researcher into the background of the RAF's Cold War. Imagine what it would be like now if something like PPruNe had been available to, say, "Bee" Beamont, or Ginger Lacy.