PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway change, a question of rules or etiquette?
Old 25th May 2022, 11:20
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Welcome Reg-e,

I encountered exactly this situation last week. Arriving to a rather busy uncontrolled training airport, I heard on the radio that the runway in use was actually downwind for the wind indicators I was seeing as I approached. I made the call: "Aircraft in the circuit at [airport], confirm the runway in use is the runway into the wind?". The next voice on the radio was apparently not an aircraft, but a dispatch, who simply stated the indicated winds, which I understood from what was said to mean all the airplanes in the circuit were taking off and landing with a 9 knot direct tailwind - for no good reason (no airport/runway restrictions either way). As I approached the airport, I heard a gaggle of radio communications which indicated that everyone was changing their circuit to the into wind runway. I landed into wind.

If there is a steady wind at the airport, aircraft should use the runway most into that wind. If an airplane needs another runway (longer, and cross wind) it is courteous for traffic to accommodate that when it is safely possible. If you have an emergency in the circuit, and must use any runway just to get on the ground safely, you are "compelled" to land, and traffic should give way to you if they are aware of your emergency, and can accommodate your need, but don't assume that other airplanes can maneuver out of your way of you're doing something unexpected.

Decades ago, a friend and I co-managed a small aerodrome. We were both experienced pilots, and fairly casual. Few others than we two used the 1600' runway, and there was no "aerodrome frequency". He took off early morning to go somewhere, when I went mid day to fly some circuits, I looked at the windsock, and flew my circuits into the wind. On my second or third circuit, on very short final I saw that he was too, landing right toward me! I completed the landing, deciding that if we were to collide, that would be better on the ground than in flight. On touchdown, he saw me, and we both did admirable very short landings, stopping 50 or so feet apart nose to nose. He had taken off in the morning, and not checked on his way home to see that the wind had come up, and favoured the other runway, which I was using. He admitted his gaffe!

Choose the runway best suited for your safe operation, and most conforming to other traffic as a secondary consideration. If you cannot conform to the other traffic, make sure everyone knows it! If you land crosswind/downwind when you could have chosen into the wind, and have a runway excursion, your insurer may ask why you chose to land out of wind - the reason should be really good!