PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our son wants to be an airline pilot... I have some questions :)
Old 25th May 2022, 09:56
Aviator172s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbit1983
With the greatest respect (you may well not be guilty of this, but there are plenty who are) herein lies the nub of the problem; there are lots of aspiring commercial pilots who have dreamed of flying for a living. Somewhere along the way, in the process of chasing this dream, they forget that it is still a job, and should be treated as such. What happens is they end up accepting ever worse Ts & Cs to achieve their dream.

And a lot of airlines know this, and exploit accordingly, until we end up with people accepting peanuts to fly, paying for type ratings, working for free, or in some cases, paying to fly....
I understand and agree with your statement. However, I do consider this as a job and a profession, with great sacrifices and renounces btw, and as such, it needs to be well rewarded or at least, respectful for people who work in the sector.
The good side about having an additional degree and experience, is that you do not need to accept whatever type of T&Cs your are offered at the very beginning after a fresh CPL licence, without even blinking...
That should be the standard in any case tho, but I reckon we are far from there sadly.