PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2003, 23:34
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
History?

Beagle

Make it a sticky by all means..

But unlike some, I still won't talk about:

1. The weapon
2. The target
3. The procedures
A bit of perspective, on Item 1 at least. Some years ago I saw in the "New Scientist" a book review dealing wth the US nuclear weapons programme. I requested it though my local public library and it duly arrived. The book contained detailed technical descriptions of most of the US inventory, including a weapon I had recently been qualified on and was still in service with UK forces. Indeed the material was identical to that used for WST revision.

A bit closer to home is the case of an acquaintance and near neighbour who was a career "weaponeer"(I'm pretty sure that just about all the Vulcan aircrew writing here would have met him in one of his guises,Sqn, OCU, WST et.al.). He is now retired and has on his study bookshelf a HMSO published book on British Nuclear Weapons. In his last service appointment he had a copy in his office, only then it was classified Secret and kept in the appropriate container.

So you see there is a vast amount of declassified information available, and some of which (quite a lot) resided in Dark Red folders in our day.

Pontius

Stories from the Kipper fleet would also make interesting reading, especially the air miss with a MAY. They didn't complain and we didn't report it.
They would but the problem is that they are still at it to a greater or lesser degree. V-Force and deterrence is over, but the slow steady procedures of surveillance and collection are probably still going on. in addition, whilst V-Force tales tended to go around (discretely) many of the maritime incidents were only retailed in Forms Purple or in the Purple Amp (LimDis). What you may have heard at a subsequent briefing might be a sanitised version of the original. But there were some good tales nonetheless. I am sure that stories will emerge in due course and there are a number of questions I would like to know the answer to, like just what was Svanetya up to?

YS