PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2022, 01:13
MikeSnow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
Isn't Hungary in NATO? Why yes, yes they are!

So what are you kvetching about again? There's a war going on in their neighborhood. I am not surprised that the political leadership is getting a bit antsy. How far is your street address from the front lines?
(To be fair, the Romanians have not taken such measures, and it's getting kind of close to them). Their security is the least of their worries, IMO from way across the pond, since they are in NATO, but the financial and energy concerns are valid, don't you think?
The problem is that Hungary's current political leaders have recently behaved more like allies of Putin, instead of leaders of a country that is a member of EU and NATO. And, for some time, the political leadership in Hungary copied a lot from the textbook of Putin. For example, in Hungary almost all the press is under de facto control of the government politicians. And the government controlled Hungarian press is now not shy of broadcasting a lot of the Russian fake news regarding the war Ukraine. I doubt that's a coincidence.

In general, Hungary's behavior in this conflict has been, if not outright pro-Russian, then at the very least anti-Ukraine. Starting with how they treated Ukrainian refugees, requiring initially that they all have biometric passports to be allowed to go through Hungary. Then by refusing to allow military help to be sent to Ukraine through their territory. And recently by fighting against EU imposing stronger sanctions, like banning oil imports from Russia.

So, if there is any EU country that should fear the least what Putin might or might not do, that would be Hungary, since they helped him so much. As such, I have to agree with macmp419,most likely this state of emergency is just a way to allow Orban more control over the country, and it wasn't actually needed.