PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Sky Marshals on Some UK Flights
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2003, 22:51
Wino
Union Goon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't remember that one exactly con-pilot but I have heard it talked about. I will look around for it in the Union data bases and get back to you on that.

I do remember that ElAL infact shot dead hijackers onboard one of their aircraft with skymarshals in the late 70s or early 80s I think. The question I have for Danny on that is "Was ELAL profiling yet?" The skymarshals initially on ELAL were jokingly referred to as seat 1b by the flight attendants. Of course they quickly wised up and became random seating.

Stafer,

I have flown cross country 5 times sitting next to an airmarshal (as deadheading crew I get to board first and often listen to the crew briefing so I can be of assistance if there is a problem in the cabin that might require a pilot's eyes, as the cockpit crew can no longer leave for any reason).

I have two points for you. First contrary to what you might think you will NOT be able to pick them out of a crowd. They are not clean cut guys with bad (cheap) haircuts in cheap polyester suits. Everyone of of them was quite different, and they sit randomly through the cabin, and they have a great line of bullsiht to feed you if you sit next to them and try and chat them up.

Now, having met the airmarshals before the flight and taken part in some of their briefings to the crews I have asked to see their weapon. I have seen it. Now even knowing where it is and how they store it, I have looked at them on a 4+ hour sector and even knowing where to look I never saw the slightest hint of a gun.

So any other good suggestions?

Danny, I agree with most of your suggestions, but the question I have for you is what about Aviation has EVER been done right or in anything other than on the cheap as a bandaid? Crew rest? Nope, Runways? Nope, Terminals? Nope, Security? Nope, Training? Nope, Aircraft certification? Nope... Aviation is still held together with the same chewing gum and bailing wire that the Wrights used. Just metaphorically now...

Cheers,
Wino