PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age Concern: Am I too old?
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2003, 22:15
Camp Freddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think many people look at the situation now and dont have the vision to see how it will change.

When I got onto the north sea in 2001, there was a big recruitment boom and although I did have 2000 hours or so I didnt have an IR, but the company stumped up because they needed people.

sure at the moment even with an IR you aint going to get in, but history suggests there will be another recruitment drive when something changes.

I think it is a problem if you dont have an IR and are over 40, one of the companys dont seem to keen on stumping up for that even when they are recruiting.

but for someone starting now, the situation is bound to have changed by the time you get there.

I guess you do need to factor the cost of an IR if you want a north sea Job. can you believe it a basic CPL now is about £40k i think an instructor rating including hourbuilding another £20k, and an IR £30k or so.

so Mr gogetter, the choice to me is how much do you want to do it ? you need to be totally commited and its just possible you might fail but ultimately most people get there. so do you feel lucky

CPL only = £40k foolish you are v.unlikely to get work
CPL + FI(R) = £60K low risk will get work for unexciting pay
CPL + IR(H) = £70K high risk may get work for high pay maybe