PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasgow-4
Thread: Glasgow-4
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2022, 15:35
nef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdcg
Could it be that Vueling and Transavia have no real traction within the UK, particularly outside of London, and so unattractive to Glaswegians etc? And i doubt there would be that many French people wanting to do a city break to Glasgow, magnificent though that city is.
Except over the last decade or so Glasgow has consistently been the 5th or 6th most visited city in the UK by foreign visitors and has also for a large part of that time been the 3rd most visited city by those with a "holiday" visit purpose. This is from ONS data available here:

https://www.visitbritain.org/sites/d...09_-_2019.xlsx

And that's before we consider Glasgow as the best air access point for large parts of the incredibly popular W Highlands and Islands. Most of the direct public transport links (both surface and air) to the W Highlands and and Islands operate from Glasgow rather than Edinburgh.

So whilst of course London and Edinburgh have considerably more demand, I think you're probably underestimating that to Glasgow.

Interestingly, pre COVID I saw figures that LH services to GLA were carrying 60% inbound, so I don't particularly see why flights from France should be wildly different.

I'm not sure about these two airlines having no UK traction - surely most people use price comparison sites, so the flights should still come up on a search?

I do generally agree with ATNotts comments and share some of the reservations that others have mentioned about GLA's current owners/management.

To come back to VY and Transavia, no-one has yet pointed to the announcement or other evidence that the flights in question are definitely been discontinued, so I'd be grateful if someone could link to it for me.