PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our son wants to be an airline pilot... I have some questions :)
Old 23rd May 2022, 13:23
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Beauty

There will always be whingers but if you want to fly and put everything into it very little beats looking down on the earth from 10ft or 5 miles.
One of my late friends had everything but moaned the whole time..fast jets for 20 years concurrently being paid for his training course then airline flying on salary better than Air France. Company went skint and he took a million from his pension fund to play vintage aircraft restoration and airshows ignoring advice. Turned down flying Thundercity kit..then flew executive jets for oligarchs tax free..last was a Chinese billionaire who treated him as a taxi driver whilst paying him probably on a quarter of a million salary. Young family with a pretty French wife. Heart attack did him.
Contrast that with the permanent (own choice) first officer 787 who checked me out in the aerobatic glider 24 years ago, sold paragliding to me (he and his late twin had set two world records) and is heavily into a flying charity. Can't do enough to share the passion.
Great life but not the best for family life unless you are lucky and have an understanding Mrs.