PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glen Buckley and Australian small business -V- CASA
Old 22nd May 2022, 21:10
glenb

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
The impact of the election result

I have been off air over the last month as i dedicated myself to raising awareness of my matter in the electorate of Chisholm, in the lead up to the election.

In the last week of the election, and with the assistance of neighbors and friends I managed to letterbox drop 14,700 brochures into letterboxes. The content is cut and pasted below.

I was at the train stations in the mornings handing out leaflets, on two humorous occasions right beside Gladys Liu at Glen Waverley train station.

Anyway, I'm pleased to say that I may have had some impact. Whilst i cant claim credit for her getting ousted, I can certainly say i played my part.

A bit immature really, but at about 4AM on Sunday morning, i sent her an email offering the services of my sons truck if she needs any assistance moving out.

Federally the change of Government is a mixed bag. I now have Ms. Carina Garland as my local MP, and i have had the opportunity to meet with her briefly. I am confident she will assist me going forward, and i hope to write to her soon.

The individual who contacted me from Barnaby Joyce's Office and was taking on the matter was actually a previous Deputy Commissioner of the Australian Federal police. I spoke to him on the phone, and was confident that I had finally got through to the correct person., Unfortunately with the change of Government his role will cease.

Regarding the community support i received it was overwhelming. I have been in the community for 55 years, so have had the opportunity to meet a lot of people. I had two people approach me, offering support while i was voting and didn't even know who they were..

At one stage Gladys was handing out brochures as voters came down the line. I crept in behind Gladys and piped up with "' A 55 year resident of Chisholm, please read my experience with Gladys Liu before you decide who to vote for today". well you should have seen her as she swung her head to see me right near her. Priceless.

I was then approached by the site manager from AEC and she asked me to move on. I assured her that I wouldn't be a problem, and that my material was my own experience rather than a political message. I gave her a copy which she took off to be decided upon. Ten minutes later she came back to advise that i could hand it out at the front of the school but not inside.

Set myself up the front and a Liberal guy came over and asked what my problem was, and I explained that I had been trying to get a meeting with Gladys for three years.

He advised me that she was there, and that he could get me a meeting now. I acted surprised. "nooo, you mean Gladys is here". He was so happy. to confirm that he could take me to her right now. "oh that would be awesome if you could do that" I responded.

So he proudly took me back to where Channel Nine were setting up to interview her. This second time her look was even more priceless than priceless, although she spoke in Chinese to a couple of her staff, and they moved me back out the front, for a while until I left to watch my sons footy game.

Cheers. Glen