PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improving the passenger experience in airports
Old 21st May 2022, 19:26
NWSRG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack
I suppose that most airports are just glorified shopping centres/malls these days and apparently derive most of their profits from the activities in the terminals. I'm one of those passengers who DETESTS having to go through those 'yellow brick roads' offering duty-free before getting to the departure gates area. Yes I might want a coffee, or a newspaper or whatever, but all I really want is to get through check-in/security and to my gate with as little friction as possible.
Couldn't agree more...the yellow brick road, complete with migraine-inducing lighting and never-ending perfumery, is utterly awful. Add in ridiculously long security queues at the moment, and yes, the queueing for an incoming aircraft in a stairwell...this isn't the way the 21st century was supposed to be!

Is it not time for a Trusted Traveller scheme, like they have in the US? Allowing fast-track security, and hence, late arrival at the airport, and arrival in your seat just before the door closes? Although in the present age, it would likely require a QR code on your Covid app, if not an embedded RFI.

And while we're at it, a "straight to departure lounge" route to avoid the malls!