PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands 40
Thread: Falklands 40
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2022, 17:58
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
Immediately after the war a British Frigate did a tour of the St. Lawrence river in Canada and visited Montreal.
The boys stumbled upon the very popular Sir Winston Churchill Pub on Crescent Street.
They were ushered past the waiting line and welcomed with open arms.
I don’t think that for the duration of the week any officer or sailor paid for a drink in the WCP or any other bar on Crescent, Bishop or Mackay streets.
I must note that there were zero negative incidents during the visit to Montreal. Much fun was had by all.
It helped that the father of the manager of “The Winston Churchill” was a RCN LCDR veteran of WW2. Strangely enough he and I were recalling that visit just last week.
The day some of the regular clients, managers, bartenders, barmaids and various hangers-on did a tour of the ship was a spectacular success.
I am sure that some RN vets still have their WCP pins.
It. was the least we could do to show our support and appreciation of their service.

Would anyone have a clue as to the ship involved? Darned if I can remember.

( added info: When I was flying for the UN (UNIKOM) mission in Kuwait / Iraq in 92 after the first Gulf War our CASO ( Chief Air Staff Officer ) was Maj. Hector Sanchez who had flown on the Argentinian side. He went in one day as leader of a flight of A-4 Skyhawks. He was the only one to survive. Great guy. When he left he visited the UK and was invited as a guest to the RAF Club. )

Last edited by albatross; 24th May 2022 at 20:54.