PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Eastern 737-800 MU5735 accident March 2022
Old 21st May 2022, 08:31
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FWRWATPLX2
ATC Watcher wrote:
Anyone one of them so close to Andreas could have easily picked up the telephone and called airline management or Luftfahrt-Bundesamt. That is all it would have taken. Every Aviation Regulator, around the world has a Safety Hotline.
Yes Capt Hindsight at work again . For the direct family as Boeing driver 99 said, they are in complete denial of the suicide version , embarking in the cockpit fumes theory , they certainly would not have called the airline or the LBA .
But they all knew he was not mentally well and should not have been flying , That was my point here.
. As to the medical staff all of them the law in Germany is absolutely strict , total confidentiality is mandatory . You could loose your practice if you called the authorities. These strict laws date back from 1945-46 following the Nazi times where mentally sick people were denounced by their doctors and ended up being euthanatized . Even after the event , most of those doctors do not feel guilty , they followed the law they say. I am glad I am not in their shoes .

Boeing Driver 99 :
ATC Watcher; where did you get this information from? It makes it sound like it was obvious as daylight and if so then those around him should bear some responsibility
How do I know the details? Too long to explain and not for internet, send me a PM if you want. Just to clarify a point : it was not obvious at all to anyone that he would commit this mass murder , or even that he would commit suicide , as far as I know no-one predicted that , but those I mentioned that they knew he was not mentally well lately, totally obsessed about losing his license, did not sleep , and should not definitively have been flying , Many of the 40 or so doctors he consulted in the last months gave him papers to stay at home and not work, but he disregarded them ( some were found in his home afterwards) and he continued to fly. As to who should bear responsibility ? I do not want to be entering that debate, read again the way I phrased my earlier post ..

As an incident investigator said ; what can we do to prevent this from happening again ? and can it happen again? . I do not have an answer to the first question (,the F/A in cockpit was a knee jerk reaction that did not last long) but to the second question : sadly , it is a yes.