PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improving the passenger experience in airports
Old 21st May 2022, 06:58
Dannyboy39

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Improving the passenger experience in airports

I've flown about 50 times since the start of the pandemic, primarily for business. Almost always overseas in both Europe and North America.

One thing I had hoped that the pandemic had taught airlines and airports is that the airport experience needed to be enhanced. Alas, it feels worse now than almost at any time in the last 25 years.

Queues at airports. MAN used to be terrible before the pandemic, but having to turn up FOUR HOURS before a flight is beyond stupid. You shouldn't have to turn up at an airport more than two hours before a flight in my opinion, regardless of destination. I fortunately haven't been affected bar a dash to the gate at LTN a couple of months ago, but I'd assume there is no sympathy from airlines and are simply blaming passengers for not turning up on time? That said, this is certainly not a UK only problem - almost every country that I've come across is having this same Covid-related problem.

On the security issue - why are liquids still restricted in hand baggage? Why can I have a 95ml bottle or aerosol but not a 105ml bottle? And one that is sealed. The technology is available - SNN and AMS have this. Why are other airports not investing in this equipment? From what I recall, this restriction came in after the Christmas Day plot in the US in around 2006? Was supposed to be a temporary solution that, like many things, remains permanent.

Finally - boarding calls before the aircraft even arrives or boarding too early with LCCs. Went through STN a few weeks ago - 45 minutes before boarding begins and closes (I think) 25 minutes before the flight departure. The aircraft hadn't even arrived at the "final call" time let alone deplane, clean and recater. Why? Just to be held in a corridor or staircase. Targets no doubt, but is this really the way to treat your passengers?