PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buccaneer Vangelis film
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2022, 19:35
Cat Techie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FinelyChopped
The Greek composer and musician Vangelis has just died, aged 79.
Be honest now, how many of you immediately think of Buccaneers when you hear To The Unknown Man? And just how good was Hugh Hudson's film of Open Gate 78 as a recruiting tool for the service?
Some one has paid the royalties so the Hugh Hudson film can be seen again in all its glory.

I for one saw it as an air cadet on the PR days one saw in the Squadron calendar in 1980. Virtually wanted to be working on dynamic aircraft post seeing that film as a career. Still working on aircraft 42 years later, having seen a Bucc Sqn detachment as my first ever RAF det. Lots of others would likely say the same.

Originally Posted by ORAC
The sound track from Blade Runner is a classic.
Will quite happily agree with you on that one. A lot of the tracks killed when I got the "Themes" album at Wittering in the very early 90s with the other famous scores he did.

Originally Posted by chinook240
Before we’d ever heard of the Falklands, there was a documentary on the news programme Nationwide featuring HMS Endurance in Antarctica. ISTR the scenes of their Wasp flying past icebergs used clips from Vangelis’ China album and was one of those moments that encouraged me to fly helos.
Bob Langley of Pebble Mill fame did it in very early 1980/81. The Vangelis track for the theme tune was "Chung Kou".