PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2022, 14:25
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
Hello OFG, welcome to the best-read thread on Prune before our contributors one by one made their last takeoffs for higher service. The Mods very kindly made this a permanent record of so much aviation history, beginning 14 years ago with Cliff's starter post on Lancasters: "So full power, wheels up, flap in by five, and 2850 plus 9. We are away."

As you will see we have enjoyed countless stories about basic training both here and abroad, hair-raising tales such as Reg's Halifax acquiring a bomb-shaped hole right through its fuselage from friends above, and teach yourself dive-bombing as related by Flt Lt Dennis O'Leary, the much loved Danny 42C who began posting in 2012. It was my pleasure to edit his memories into two e-books, In with a Vengeance dealing with his training in Florida and operating the Vultee Vengeance in Burma, and Danny and the Cold War, detailing post-war flying on Spitfire, Meteor and Venom, then ATC before demob and closing career as a VAT inspector.

In accordance with his last wishes, I'm glad to send copies to anyone interested in exchange for donations made direct to the RAF Benevolent Fund, we suggest £10 per book. Please PM me, Geriaviator, with your email address as we can't send attachments via Prune.

Regards to any old-timers still on frequency ...