PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands 40
Thread: Falklands 40
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2022, 14:06
The Helpful Stacker

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ex-fast-jets
Thanks for bringing this whole thread back to reality.

It was not just Harriers which were involved - there were so many others who did so many things way outside their normal area of expertise, and who did not receive any - or very little - recognition of what was done.

In the end, it was "boots on the ground" that won the various battles - we were all enablers to let them get on with it.

But so much was done by the Tanker fraternity supporting the Vulcans and others, the C-130 mates, and the Merchant Navy who delivered all the kit - and then the helo folks who got it all into the right place at the right time. And, no doubt, many others who have missed the spotlight. Not just the pilots/aircrew who flew, but the ground folk who made these flights possible. (Apart from the met folk, who seemed to have had no idea what the weather was up to!).

So, before 40 years of collective memory disappears 6' under, let's hear of the varied efforts that allowed the final outcome to be what it was.
When I first joined TSW there were a few still serving who had taken part in Op Corporate.

A few of them travelled with some of the kit on Atlantic Conveyor (one of them I believe getting an MiD for their actions after the Exocet hit).

Post Atlantic Conveyor I understand it became a scramble to get hold of fuels handling kit but scramble they did and through beg, borrowing and stealing (a noted TSW trait....) they eventually set up a site on dry(ish) land to support both helicopters and leaping heaps of various shades.

There are a few photos of TSW operations during Op Corporate in the book "Cold War, Hot Peace - 50 Years of Tactical Supply 1970-2020", I'll try to post them on here.