PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our son wants to be an airline pilot... I have some questions :)
Old 20th May 2022, 11:10
Basic_Service

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=T Father;11229807]Thank you very much for the feedback & advice, seems that the cost of learning is such a huge part of flying. Have you met many pilots at 21 or 22 years old flying?
He says EasyJet has courses in the UK & RyanAir also offer a training program :?

I’m 21, and working as a flight instructor. Right now, there really aren’t that many jobs, and the people who are coming out of training and walking into airline jobs are having to pay large amounts for it…

Ryanair would be a great place to start, and I have friends who are paying for it, but it’s another -£35,000 on top of what you’ve already paid for all of your flight training so far. Not to mention, that you have to be an EASA licence holder, which is a whole different painful topic. It’s important to note, that the £35,000 doesn’t guarantee you a job, it’s just a training contract.

In terms of the EasyJet program, it’s just an MPL, so that comes with it’s own issues. They also use CAE as their provider, which is why the cost of it is £100,000+, which is enough to deter most people.

if your son wants to be a pilot, your best bet is getting him going down the modular route which is significantly cheaper, and you still have the same licence in the end. Depending how fast you want to train, it can be as fast as 2 years from zero to fATPL! He’ll gain loads of experience along the way, and then there’s opportunities for things like becoming an instructor once he qualifies in the event that there aren’t airline jobs at the time.

whatever you do, don’t fall into the trap of handing over more money than you really need to!

best of luck!