PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our son wants to be an airline pilot... I have some questions :)
Old 19th May 2022, 09:31
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Airgus
Nice bunch of good advises can be seen here.
T Father, I would suggest to invest in a gliding course, no need to take a loan nor do risky investments, and it is a healthy weekend activity for a youngster.
The glider will teach your son the pure sensation of flying, will open the door to get curious about aviation and learning, will put him in the aviation emviroment and will make him enjoy the flying by being motivated (it's not yet a full time course)
After 2 years, he would be having a couple of 100s hours as glider pilot, fully knowledgeable about what he really wants to do and starting the PPL at 18 either as modular or integrated, will be a good age.
Also in 2 years time you will have a better vision for aiming to EASA or UKCAA, or both.
Airgus
With 150 hours PIC in gliders you can go to the US and get an FAA private, Instrument, Commercial ASEL and CFI with just 100 hours of additional flight time.

With the right visa status that would be enough for a paid instructor position, which would enable you to build 1000+ hours and maybe even an FAA ATP whilst studying for the EASA exams. That's the cheapest way I know of to become a professional pilot.