PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard again
Thread: Vuichard again
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2022, 15:38
Robbiee

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Can you explain that as it doesn't make any sense to me?
When I was getting checked out in the 500 the instructor regailed the fate of their other 500 (which was sitting in the hangar in two pieces) the last time he checked out a Robby pilot.

Seems this companies 500's had very loose throttle friction, which allowed the normal vibrations to roll them down in cruise flight (something I noticed on my first flight) at least I'm guessing at that being the cause.

Anyway, they were coming in for a landing, the rpm had gotten low, the check pilot (who had been trained in Schweizers and was thus used to playing with the throttle) yells out, "ADD POWER, ADD POWER". The Robby pilot (who almost never touches the throttle) instinctively pulls up on the collective (which of course is the wrong thing to do in this situation) they hit hard, the tail is chopped off, and the instructor developes a stigma of Robby pilots always rolling the throttle down on him for reasons he cannot fathom (as he assumed of me when I told him our rpm had gotten low).

You see there's two things about Robby pilots this guy didn't know.

1. In an effort to not override the governor during the early (death grip) days of flight training, we are taught to hold the collective, with just a couple fingers lightly touching the throttle. Therefore, we are less likely to notice a loose throttle rolling itself down (I myself didn't notice it until I looked at the tach). Schweizer pilots (I have noticed) place their entire hand on the throttle, therefore preventing a loose throttle from rolling itself down,...in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even know it had a loose throttle.

2. Since Robby pilots do not manipulate the throttle during normal flight, the term "power" is associated with the collective, not the throttle. So "add power means" up collective, not increase throttle.