PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 18th May 2022, 14:18
havick

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DropYourSocks
Aight, let's do this.

Let's start with the E3 program. Introduced as part of an Aus - US trade agreement that allows each country's citizens to work in the other's country. It's not just pilots, it's dozens of industries. As I'm sure you're well aware though, there have been American pilots flying in Australia for a long time. They aren't coming to Australia in droves right now, because there are literally multi million dollar careers on offer after an hour long interview. Ask me how I know.

Next, the amount of hiring required in just one year alone in the US would be enough to take every pilot at every major in Australia. This rate of hiring is forecast to continue towards the end of this decade. The amount of Australian's that will ever come here literally make no difference to contract negotiations. But let's talk about US contracts. Every Australian pilot here works under a CBA, the same conditions as our American counterparts. Union membership is also mandatory at every Alpa carrier. So unlike Australia, if you refuse union membership, you don't have a job. Now take Alliance, where they have frightened folks into accepting individual contracts, and it's not hard to see how foreigners can be exploited. So yes, there is a difference. I agree that folks at home should be upset at 457's coming in on individual contracts. But when Australian's have AIPA, AFAP, VIPA, TWU or no union at all, and spend more time tearing each other down then standing together, is it really surprising it has come to this?

Let's talk about contract conditions next. You said GoJet's first year pay is garbage. Fair enough, but compared to what? The job is the equivalent to being an FO at Rex, Vara or Qlink. I know which I would choose, but that's me. Every regional that currently has Australian pilots has also seen massive improvements and signed new contracts after the biggest black swan event in over a decade. I'd say that says Australian's aren't having the negative influence you think they are.

Lastly, you can attack the work I've done here for Australian pilots. I don't mind. But, you can check my post history. I've been contributing to this thread in particular for close to 4 years now, sharing the good, bad and the ugly. I have been very fortunate in how my career has progressed in the US, and I try to help others along the path I've taken if that's something they choose.

What I don't understand is why you are so angry, since as you say you have retired. In any case though, I and pilots like me are not your enemy, nor are the 457s that come over either. Your real enemy sits at the top of Australia's biggest airline, and now has at his disposal at least 7 airlines he can use to whipsaw against each other. The only hope in the near term for a career at home is the US taking so many Aussie's that local operators have to up there game, or every pilot group that has a red tail bands together under one union and fights.
I wouldn’t waste your time arguing with someone that literally has no concept of how things work in the US regarding soft pay etc.